4122 NE Sandy Boulevard,
13 people favorited this theater
- Laurelhurst Theater & Pub
- Avalon Theatre
- Regal Lloyd Center 10 & IMAX
- Irvington Theater
- Bagdad Theater
News About This Theater
- Oct 12, 2014 — Hollywood in Portland to add 70mm
- Oct 12, 2013 — Portland ranked No. 1 best city for movie lovers
- Apr 1, 2013 — "2001: A Space Odyssey" 45th Anniversary – The Cinerama Engagements
- May 22, 2012 — REMEMBERING CINERAMA (Part 50: Portland)
- Feb 18, 2012 — Old movie theaters find new life
- Jan 10, 2012 — Hollywood Theatre gets a makeover
- Jul 20, 2007 — Hollywood Theatre to undergo restoration
Located along Portland’s Northeast Sandy Boulevard, in the heart of the business district bearing its name, the Hollywood Theatre has provided family entertainment since it opened as a vaudeville theatre on July 17, 1926.
With 1,500 seats, the Hollywood Theatre is one of the most ornate neighborhood theatres in the Pacific Northwest. Its exterior, with a beautiful Byzantine, rococo tower, resembles something to be found on William Randolph Hearst’s San Simeon estate.
Although still standing, the Hollywood Theatre spent the last 30 years quietly slipping into a state of disrepair, operating as a nearly forgotten discount movie house.
In April of 1997, the Oregon Film & Video Foundation purchased the theatre from ACT III Theatres for the purpose of preservation and gradual renovation. The Hollywood Theatre re-opened in November of 1997 and has once again become a vital part of the Hollywood district in which it’s located.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.