Regent Cinema

3 Market Place Castlegate,
Thirsk, Y07 1

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

The Regent Cinema had the tiniest footprint of any cinema I have seen. It is almost like a toy movie palace. A tiny foyer has enough space for doors to the stalls, a paybox and the start of domestic sized stairs to the balcony. The projection room was at the rear of the stalls to maximise space in the “expensive” balcony. Down each side of the steeply raked balcony were the exit stairs; those on the left hand side delivering patrons into the stalls to exit on the other side of the ground floor and there were no doors other than on the front facade (one set of which has now been bricked up).

It seated 400 and opened in 1935 as an independent. It was later acquired by Star Cinemas who introduced bingo part time, and then eventually full time (by the early 1970’s).

The screen and proscenium have been removed along with the left hand circle to stalls staircase. The projection room has been opened up into the rear stalls to provide a refreshments kiosk and a false ceiling has covered the original, considerably lower at the front.

Until August 2005, it operated as a bingo hall and in 2006 the building was demolished.

Contributed by Ian Grundy

Recent comments (view all 3 comments)

Denison
Denison on November 7, 2005 at 9:48 pm

The Regent has just closed as a Bingo Hall, August 2005, and is up for sale for 360,000 ukpds.

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on November 8, 2005 at 12:00 am

The 1937 edition of the Kinematograph Yearbook gives a seating capacity of the Regent Cinema as 400.

Ian
Ian on December 21, 2006 at 3:02 pm

The Regent was demolished during 2006.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater