162 Union Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Grand Theatre was opened on 26th December 1889 with a production of the pantomime “Cinderella”. It was designed by a H.J. Snell. Inside the auditorium, seating was provided in orchestra, dress circle and balcony levels. The stage was 48 feet deep and 60 feet wide. It was re-named Grand Theatre & Picture Palace in 1909, when variety & films were programmed. By 1927, it was offering Revue shows, and it operated as a successful theatre until 1930.
On 14th May 1930, it was re-opened as a full time cinema. Independently operated, it was damaged by German bombs during the Blitz in March 1941 and closed, never to re-open. The building was used as a warehouse for many years.
It was demolished in 1963 and a block of flats named David Southgate Court was built on the site. The adjacent Grand Theatre public house building still exists, but is closed in 2009.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater