121-123 Union Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The New Palace Theatre of Varieties was opened on 5th September 1898. It was built as a music hall for the Livermore Bothers. In the early days, films were presented as part of the variety programme. The building was designed in a Flemish Renaissance style, with the interior in an Art Nouveau style, with nautical features. Seating was provided for 339 in the orchestra stalls, 307 in the pit stalls, 214 in the dress circle, 148 in the rear circle and 400 in the gallery, with four stage boxes on each side of the 30 feet wide proscenium and the stage 28 feet deep. There were ten dressing rooms, and the orchestra pit could accommodate 14 musicians. The theatre was badly damaged by a fire on 23rd December 1898, just over three months after opening. It was refurbished and reopened on 22nd May 1899, with a much simpler decorative scheme.
The Palace Theatre thrived for many years, presenting variety, plays, opera, circus and pantomimes. It was closed in the mid-1950’s. In 1961, it was converted into a bingo club. Refurbished and re-opened as a live theatre in 1978, this was a short lived venture, closing in 1983. The building was then converted into a nightclub, known as the Dance Academy. In recent years this has closed and the building is now in a state of disrepair.
The Palace Theatre is designated by English Heritage as a Grade II Listed building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater