132 Saltley Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the Saltley district of northeast Birmingham, at the corner of Saltley Road and Nechells Place at Saltley Viaduct. The Carlton Theatre was opened on 16th July 1900 as a live theatre, and was designed by architect Thomas Guest. The opening programme was The "Chas. W. Poole’s" Grand Myriorama, with The Pooleograph-‘the finest living picture machine ever invented’, plus a full variety bill. Seating was provided in pit stalls, dress circle and gallery levels and there were six boxes. There was a 27 feet wide proscenium and a 40 feet deep stage. In April 1911 it was re-named Birmingham Coliseum and Gaiety Theatre.
In 1921, it was converted into a full time cinema, and re-named Coliseum Theatre. Disaster struck in 1941, when a German bomb destroyed the cinema, killing 19 people. The remains of the theatre were demolished in 1945.
Today, the area where the theatre stood
has been re-developed as an industiral estate.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater