Indian Rocks Drive-In
Hamlin Boulevard at 113th Avenue North,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Indian Rocks Drive-In was one of the shortest-lived theaters in the Bay Area. The theater was opened by a Mrs. Sarah L. Higginbotham in June, 1953 on land leased from land developer Horace Hamlin. However, there was apparently some sort of contractual error and Higginbotham was evicted from the land and forced to close the drive-in in September, 1954.
Pinning the location of the former theater is very difficult, due to road changes and the development of the area. The article on the theater’s opening states that the theater is on Indian Rocks Road about half a mile east of the old Indian Rocks bridge and about a quarter mile south of the county filtration plant. The old bridge is long gone, but the mainland approach was on what is now 113th Avenue North (the island approach was on Central Avenue). The distances given by the article place the theater at the corner of 113th Avenue North and Hamlin Boulevard; presumably Indian Rocks Road once reached all the way to the old bridge, but was terminated once that was no longer in use.
Naturally, nothing remains of this theater and it is very likely that most people have no idea there was ever a drive-in in the area.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater