35 Union Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Built on the site of the Gaiety/Palladium Cinema, this was originally planned by the Associated British Cinemas(ABC) chain ‘in-house’ architect William R. Glen in 1939. Due to the outbreak of World War II, it was put on hold.
After the war, architect C.J. Foster amended the plans and it was built, and opened as the Regal Cinema on 26th July 1954 with Robert Taylor in “Knights of the Round Table”. Film stars Richard Todd & Ann Crawford appeared in person, and organist Hubert Selby played the Hammond (LaFleur) electronic organ which ABC were touring around some of their cinemas at that time.
Seating in the 1,914-seat single auditorium was provided in stalls and circle levels. The proscenium was 47 feet wide. There were two entrances one on 35 Union Street through which the cinema was reached along a long passageway, and another at the rear on 10 Ship Row. The Regal Cinema was re-named ABC on 24th March 1962.
Closed in May 1974 for tripling, ABC 1 opened on 3rd June 1974 with 600 seats in the former circle area. ABC 2 & 3 opened in the former rear stalls area on 8th July 1974 with 153 & 147 seats. It was taken over by the Cannon Group in June 1987, and re-named Cannon. The Cannon was closed in January 1998, and was later demolished.
The Lighthouse muiltiplex cinema was built on the site, which opened in April 2001, and since 2004 has operated as the 7-screen Vue Cinema.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater