10 Ship Row,
No one has favorited this theater yet
A conversion of the 1878 built St. Katherine’s Hall, the Gaiety Cinema was opened on 5th September 1908. It was independently operated.
In 1915, it was re-named New Gaiety Cinema. It was refurbished and re-named Palladium Cinema from 5th May 1919.
The Palladium Cinema was closed in the summer of 1930 and became derelict. In August 1937, the building was sold to the Associated British Cinemas(ABC) chain, who drew up plans to demolish the Palladium Cinema and build a new Regal Cinema on the site, designed by their ‘in-house’ architect William R. Glen. However, World War II intervened in 1939, and it wasn’t until 1954 that the Regal Cinema was built to the revised plans of C.J. Foster. This later operated as the ABC and closed as the Cannon in 1998. It too was demolished and the Lighthouse multiplex was built on the site, which since 2004 has operated as the 7-screen Vue Cinema.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater