Circle South 29 Drive-In
Fairforest Clevedale Road & Cedar Crest Road,
3 people favorited this theater
Previous Names: Drive-In, Scenic Drive-In,
The Drive-In opened in late-1947. It was the first drive-in theatre to open in Spartanburg, SC. The parking ramp could park 394 cars. The Drive-In was renamed Scenic Drive-In on December 13, 1949. It was operated by Wade McManus in 1955. The Scenic Drive-In was closed on April 5, 1970, and reopened on April 14, 1970. It reopened with a new screen, sound system and a new name, the Circle South 29 Drive-In. It was now owned by Piedmont Productions Inc. of N.C, who also opened the Circle Drive-In on June 27, 1969.
On April 24, 1971, Robert H. Williams, who was the theatre manager, was indicted for exhibiting an obscene movie. The movie was “101 Acts of Love”. Williams was found guilty and filed an appeal. The Circle South 29 Drive-In was closed down in April and reopened on June 25, 1971, showing only R and M rated movies after that. Piedmont decided that X-rated movies would not be screened at their drive-in theatres anymore. Looking at the movies the drive-in was screening after reopening in 1970 and between temporarily shutting down, it was mostly X-rated movie fare. It finally closed in November 1984, and the property was sold to Carolina Canadian Lumber Co. It is now used to store building supplies.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.