No one has favorited this theater yet
Built on the site of the Theatre Royal, which was demolished in 1902. The Opera House was opened on 5th October 1903. It had a handsome facade, and inside the auditorium seating was provided for 1,200 in orchestra stalls, dress circle and gallery levels. The proscenium was 28 feet wide and the stage 30 feet deep, and five dressing rooms were provided.
Films were being screened from 1911, and by 1912, it was re-named Royal Cinema de Luxe. Sound equipment was installed in around 1929, and it was re-named Opera House Cinema de Luxe and the seating capacity was reduced to 900. Occasional variety shows were still staged. It was closed in 1938, and in 1939, the unused building was taken over by Government for storage during World War II.
It re-opened in 1946 as the Playhouse, a live theatre, and this continued until it was purchased by the council to build an inner-city ring road. The Playhouse was closed in 1968, and demolished in early 1969.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater