3 people favorited this theater
The Savoy Cinema was built on the site of Her Majesty’s Theatre, which had become a cinema and was operated by the Associated British Cinemas(ABC) chain in its final year. ABC built the replacement Savoy Cinema on the prominent site at the top of Town End Bank (today re-named Park Street).
The Savoy Cinema opened on 3rd October 1938 with Robert Taylor in "A Yank at Oxford". The huge brick building had a semi-circular central section over the entrance, which contained large windows allowing light into the circle foyer. In the auditorium seating was provided for 1,358 in the stalls and 811 in the circle.
The Savoy Cinema was re-named ABC in late-1960. In 1973 it was tripled, re-opening on 20th September 1973 with 500 seats in the former circle, and screen 2 & 3 seating 278 & 143 in the former front stalls area opened on 16th November 1973. A Painted Wagon bar opened in the former rear stalls area.
Taken over by the Cannon Group in around 1986, it was last operated by MGM, but retained the Cannon name. The Cannon was closed on 18th November 1993. It was demolished in April 1995, and a large Woolworth’s store was built on the site (by 2017 a Poundland discount store).
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater