Studio 1 Theatre
2139 W. Sunset Boulevard,
6 people favorited this theater
A small neighborhood theatre located just west of Alvarado Boulevard on W. Sunset Boulevard. Built in 1914 to serve as a movie theatre. On the original building permit, the architect is listed as the Alfred Grayson Co. The builder was J. Louie Pancoast, who was located down the street at 2121 Sunset Bouevard, while the developer lived on nearby Reservoir Street. In 1915 and 1916 city directories it is listed as the Creation Theatre. In 1917 it is the Sunset Theatre. It’s called Mitchell’s Theatre in the 1919 directory and in 1925 to 1929 it’s listed as the Garden Theatre.
Then for a long period covering over half a century it was the Ramona Theatre, before going through a series of name changes and format changes. The theatre was modernised and reopened on November 10, 1965 under the name Studio 1 Theatre, with the mission of screening German-language movies (the debut feature was a screening of “Die Fledermaus!). By 1970 it was screening gay adult movies. By the early-1980’s, the name had been Latinized into Estudio 1, a venue for double features (one photograph has it offering "Mad Max & "A Force of One” on the same program). It also showed Spanish films and some second run films with Spanish subtitles.
The theatre was closed in the mid-1990’s. Around 1998, a member of the Lotito family -which has owned the building and much of the block for at least 75 years – decided to gut the interior, rip out the theatre seats and level the floor as part of a renovation to seek new tenents, possibly retail, but the building has remained empty. Today, the old cinema is a popular pub/restaurant called Mohawk Bend.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater