143-145 Oxford Road,
1 person favorited this theater
Located a short distance away from the town centre. The Pavilion Cinema was opened on 21st September 1929 with Laura La Plante in "Showboat". It was equipped with a Compton 2Manual/6Ranks organ with the console on a lift, that was opened by organist Norman Tilley. The cinema also had a tea lounge for the convenience of its patrons.
Taken over by the County Cinemas chain in 1930, they were taken over by the Oscar Deutsch chain of Odeon Theatres Ltd. in September 1939.
After the closure of the Gaumont (former Vaudeville Theatre) in November 1957, the Rank Organisation transfered the name Gaumont to the Pavilion Cinema from 20th January 1958.
The Gaumont was closed on 21st April 1979 after the Odeon in Reading was twinned. It first became a Top Rank Bingo Club, and later operating as a Riley’s Snooker Club for many years. By 2019 it is in use as a church.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater