2875 W. Cermak Road,
9 people favorited this theater
Opened December 22, 1917, the Marshall Square Theatre was designed by Alexander Levy, who later teamed with Frederick Klein to go on to design some of Chicago’s greatest movie palaces, like the Granada Theatre and Marbro Theatre. It was located in the Marshall Square neighborhood on 22nd Street near Marshall Boulevard (22nd Street was later renamed W. Cermak Road, after the Mayor of Chicago, Anton Cermak, 1931-33, who died from a bullet in Miami meant for President Franklin Delano Roosevelt).
Originally a venue for both vaudeville acts as well as movies, the Marshall Square Theatre later switched to a movies-only policy, until the screen went dark in the 1970’s.
In 1936, architect Roy B. Blass remodeled the Marshall Square Theatre, and new signage was added on the the elegant terra-cotta covered facade. One of the support beams for the soaring vertical sign was unfortunately rammed right through the large terra-cotta face of a beautiful goddess above the main entrance, sadly destroying it.
Today, restored and renovated in the 1990’s for use as a concert hall, the Marshall Square Theatre is now known as Apollo’s 2000.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater