1116-1128 Main Street,
2 people favorited this theater
The original name of this historic theatre was the Grand Opera House. Built by G. F. Andrae between 1893-1894, the vaudeville/stage show theatre closed in 1915.
On November 1, 1920, it was reopened as the Majestic Theatre presenting a musical revue “All Aboard for Cuba” starring Don Lanning. In the mid-1920’s it was taken over by J.P. Adler of the Adler Theater Co. who opened the Majestic Roseland (a dance palace) on the second floor. In 1928 the Wisconsin Amusement Co. (now Fox Corp.) took over the operation of the theatre and changed its name to the Fox Theatre.
Remaining popular for the next six decades, the theatre was last operated by Rogers Cinemas. It was kept mostly the same way, but in 1982, a previously added section of the theatre was removed. Shortly afterwards, in 1985, the movie house was closed and has never reopened.
A number of groups have tried to find a use for the old Fox Theater, but so far they have been unsuccessful. Demolition of the auditorium began in December 2019. The facade will be saved.
However, the city of Stevens Point purchased the Fox Theatre for $1 on December 31, 2019, agreeing to the terms of the donation agreement that spells out what the building can and can not be used for in the next 13 years. Now that the building is city-owned, a full raze is unlikely and an engineering report(s) suggests the entire structure is worthy of being saved. Estimate to bring up to code etc. is $2-$2.5 million. The city will most likely discuss the Fox Theatre at their Finance Committee Meeting on January 13, 2020.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater