Savoy Super Cinema
1 Grace Hill,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Originally housing a music hall, which became a garage, and then a skating Rink. The Electric Theatre was opened on 3rd May 1910. The conversion was designed by architect A.R. Bowles. Seating was provided for 400, all on a single floor. Patrons entered the auditorium from behind the screen, which was at the street end of the building. It was so successful that the owners employed A.R. Bowles to design their new much larger Playhouse Super Cinema in nearby Guildhall Street in 1912.
The Electric Theatre was re-named Savoy Theatre in around 1928. Disaster struck on 13th December 1928, when a fire began at the front of the building, destroying the entire structure.
It was re-built and re-opened as the Savoy Super Cinema on 20th June 1929 with Sir John Martin Harvey in "The Burgomaster of Stilemonde". The screen was now at the other end of the building, and the seating capacity had been increased to 932, with the inclusion of a balcony. The proscenium was 30 feet wide. Organist Percy Milton opened the newly-installed Dutch-built Standaart 2Manual organ. The auditorium ceiling was painted to represent a sky of azure blue, flecked with clouds. Many famous organists such as Reginald Foort, George Pattman and Frank Newman played the organ in the 1930’s.
The Savoy Super Cinema was closed on 27th July 1940, due to wartime conditions. It re-opened on 14th May 1941 with Arthur Askey in "The Ghost Train", Richard Arlen in "Hot Steel" and Edward O'Henry at the organ, plus variety on the stage.
Taken over by the Star Cinemas chain in the late-1950’s, they introduced part time bingo in October 1961, and soon after, it was closed as a cinema and became a Star Bingo Club. This had closed by 1987, and the building was unused. It was last used as a nightclub and live music venue named Metronome, which closed in the mid-2000’s.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater