48-50 George Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Hoyts Theatres, Western Suburbs Cinemas Ltd.
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Parramatta Cinema No. 2
Located in the Sydney suburb of Parramatta. Built by the Western Suburbs Cinemas chain in 1924, the Parramatta Cinema No. 2 opened in August 1924. Seating was provided in stalls and balcony levels.
In 1944, the Western Suburbs Cinemas chain was taken over by Hoyts Theatres. Hoyts also operated the nearby Roxy Theatre as a first run house and the Astra Theatre as their second run house, leaving the by then re-named Civic Theatre to pick up ‘also run’ product in this suburb.
After a period of time operating on restricted opening hours, the Civic Theatre was closed in May 1960.
It was converted into the Civic Arcade of shops.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 5 comments)
This is the Civic Parramatta, not the Civic (Palladium/Barclay) in George Street, Sydney as the heading suggests.
Yes, the Civic that was on George Street is listed here on CT as the Barclay. The address above needs to be corrected.
The address above is correct – 48-50 George Street.
Bennington’s Picture Palace opened on 19/3/1910. Closed in 1923 and demolished for a larger theatre. Cinema No 1 opened on 14/10/1924.
Bennington’s Picture Palace had 2000 seats. Remodelled into Civic Theatre opening on 21/5/1938.