Royal Pavilion Theatre
9 Rigby Road,
1 person favorited this theater
The Royal Pavilion Theatre was opened on 23rd June 1909, when it was screening animated pictures. It was closed during the First World War, and was re-opened at Easter 1919. Alterations were carried out in May 1925.
It was re-named Futurist Cinema in 1929, and was re-named Plaza Cinema in 1939, and after World War II it became the Alexander Cinema when Marks Circuit Cinemas of Manchester took over. New operators took over in 1948, and it became the New Alexander Cinema.
By the late-1960’s, it had reverted back to its original Royal Pavilion Theatre name. Live shows were produced in the summer season, with cinema use in winter months.
Taken over by the Classic Cinemas chain in the late-1970’s, it was programmed with repertory films. This closed in 1983, and the building remained closed in 1984.
It re-opened as a live theatre, with productions of ‘girly’ shows & ‘drag’ shows. Retuning brifly to cinema use in 1990, in 1993, it reverted back to live theatre use. In recent years it has become Scots Karaoke Bar.
Still to be seen on the side of the building is an ancient painted sign ‘Royal Pavilion We Excel All Others’, and the projection box protrudes out of the facade.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater