No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the Wednesfield district of Wolverhampton. The opening programme of the Regal Cinema on 14th October 1935 was Jack Hulbert and Fay Wray in “Bulldog Jack” plus full supporting programme including Universal News. R.H. Morgan MP for Stourbridge performed the opening ceremony and Waller Jeffs (The Father of Birmingham Cinema Exhibition) showed two of his early short films “Stratford upon Avon Shakespeare Festival” and “Veterans of the Indian Mutiny”. The Regal Cinema was designed by the architectural firm Satchwell & Roberts, with Ronald Satchwell as supervising architect. It was built by building company H.J. Ames & Sons. Owned by Regal Cinema (Wednesfield) Ltd, the company had Leon Slaberg & Sydney Clift as its directors.
During the World War II, the Regal Cinema staged a full Pantomime “Babes in the Wood”. The cinema later become wholly owned by the Clift family, and was managed by the Clifton Cinemas circuit..
Closed on 17th March 1962 with “The Naked Edge” starring Gary Cooper. The building was sold and demolished, and a supermarket stands on the site.
The Regal Cinema took good money and need not have been sold. The family had been offered so much money they could not refuse!
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater