77 Walton Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the Walton district of Liverpool on Walton Road at the corner of Furness Street. The Astoria Cinema was opened on 21st July 1930 with Maurice Chevalier in “Innocents of Paris”. The cinema had a splendid brick facade trimmed with white faiance tiles. Inside the auditorium seating was provided for 870 in the stalls and 516 in the circle. The proscenium was 30 feet wide, and the stage 11 feet deep. There were also dressing rooms.
The Astoria Cinema was taken over by Associated British Cinemas(ABC) chain in September 1935. It was re-named ABC in December 1963, and was closed on 23rd February 1974 with Bruce Lee in “Enter the Dragon” and Tamara Dobson in “Cleopatra Jones”.
The building was then left derelict and vandalised for the next 10-years. In 1984, the stalls area was converted into a luxurious social club, with the former circle and upper parts of the building hidden by a false ceiling. In around 1990, it became a bingo club. This was closed in 2001 when a new purpose built bingo club was built nearby. The ABC was demolished in the mid-2000’s.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater