1199 Coventry Road,
1 person favorited this theater
Located on Coventry Road at the corner of Ada Road, in the Hay Mills district southeast of Birmingham city centre. Originally on this site was the Hay Mills and Yardley Picture House, which first opened in May 1913.
The Adelphi Super Cinema was opened on 10th October 1927 with Blanche Sweet in “Diplomacy” and Marie Prevost in “Man Bait”. It was built for and operated by Cinema Proprietors Ltd. Supervising architect was Ernest S. Roberts of the architectural firm Satchwell & Roberts.
On 7th January 1929, it was takan over by Associated British Cinemas(ABC) chain. ABC closed the Adelphi Cinema on 31st August 1968 with Terrence Stamp in “Blue” and Roger Smith in “Rogue’s Gallery”.
The building became a disco for several years, then a DIY hardware store. In recent years it has been used as Namdhari Sangat Birmingham Community Centre, which had closed by 2008. It is believed the building is now in use for storage.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater