551 Valley Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the Sherwood district of Nottingham. The Futurist Cinema opened on 26th July, 1937 with Fred McMurray in “Champagne Waltz” and Marsha Hunt in “Accusing Finger”. The facade was in brick, with five white stone bands running across, and there was a slender fin tower in white stone, which was topped by the Metropole name sign. Seating in the auditorium was provided in stalls and circle levels. The proscenium was 60 feet wide and the stage 18 feet deep.
The Metropole Cinema was taken over by Associated British Cinemas(ABC) chain in 1943. ABC closed the Metropole Cinema in March 1976. It was taken over by the Leeds based Star Cinemas chain and converted into a bingo club. The balcony was re-opened as a trial later that year. This was short lived and the final film was Julie Andrews in “The Sound of Music” on 13th August, 1977. It then became a Star Bingo Club, which closed in 1979. Since closing the building was stripped out and has had a variety of uses mainly as a supermarket, but now stands unused.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater