54 High Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in a district named The Lye, just a short distance from Stourbridge. The Clifton Cinema was opened on 8th February 1937 with Ronald Colman in “Under Two Flags”. Desiigned by the architectural firm Satchwell & Roberts, with Roland Satchwell as supervising architect. The builder was B. Whitehouse and Sons Ltd., who Built The Warley Cinema. The proprietors were Clifton Cinemas (Lye) Ltd., whos principle directores were Sydney Clift, Harold Brown and Satchwell & Roberts. Like most of the cinemas in the Clifton circuit, the projection equipment was BTH. Seating was provided for 726 in the stalls and 280 in the circle. The proscenium was 38 feet wide and the screen 30 feet wide. The cinema was managed as part of the Clifton Circuit Management.
This Clifton Cinema later become mostly owned by the Clift Family. One night wrestling matches were a popular attraction in the 1960’s. The Clifton Cinema was closed on 7th August 1965 with Jerry Lewis in “The Patsy” plus “Robinson Crusoe on Mars”.
The interior was stripped out and a second floor was installed inside the building. It was converted into a market, today operating as Food City.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater