Odeon 2 Shepherd's Bush
57A Shepherd's Bush Green,
2 people favorited this theater
Located in the west London inner city district of Shepherd’s Bush. The Shepherd’s Bush Cinematograph Theatre opened 3rd March 1910 and had a long movie career that sadly ended in October 1981 when, as the Odeon 2, it screened its last film. After a period of dereliction it was converted into a large pub, now with an Australian theme known as ‘Walkabout’
Originally this was the 6th addition to the Pyke Circuit of cinemas which Montagu Pyke had started in March 1909 and which was an instant success fuelling the rapid expansion. A further 10 cinemas were built, the final one in Charing Cross Road opening in August 1911.
It was partially rebuilt to the plans of architect John Stanley Beard and reopened in November 1923 as the New Palladium, the New was dropped in 1946 and it was renamed Essoldo in 1955. It closed for modernisation in 1968 but a fire just before reopening delayed the event. It now seated 500, down from its original capacity of 763. Further name changes occurred;Classic from 1972 and finally Odeon 2 from 1973 to October 1981.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater