1 person favorited this theater
The Gwyn Hall was built in the 1880’s on land given by Howel Gwyn. Designed by London architect John Norton, at a cost of £6,000.
A statue of Howel Gwyn was unveiled outside the Gwyn Hall, on 26th September 1888.
In 1967 the statue was moved to it’s present position in Victoria Gardens, because of a proposed road widening scheme which never happened.
The building was used for council business as well as a music hall until the construction of the civic centre in the 1960’s.
It received a Grade II listing in 1989 due to its fine architectural detailing and its value to the Neath townscape.
On 18th October 2007 fire ripped through the Gwyn Hall devastated the entire building.
At the time the Gwyn Hall was undergoing a £4million refurbishment.
The building then went under a £7 million transformation. The newly refurbished building opened on the 8th March 2012.
The theater now seats 393 (363 with orchestra) and is equipped with Dolby 3D digital projection. The stalls tier of seats are fully retractable.
A dance studio has been created above the theater, with a “cinema pod” which seats 73 and is also Dolby 3D digital equipped.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater