201 E. Chapman Avenue,
1 person favorited this theater
The Plummer Auditorium, two blocks away from the Fox Theatre Fullerton, was built in 1930. The Fullerton Joint Union High School District owns the venue and it is known mainly for its Broadway musical productions presented by the Fullerton Civic Light Opera.
Constructed for $295,000, it was named after Louis E. Plummer, high school and junior college superintendent from 1919 to 1941. The city of Fullerton says that the building is “an outstanding example of Spanish Colonial Revival architecture with Italian Renaissance design elements.”
Architect Carlton M. Winslow designed the building, which was fully restored in 1995. In 1934 Works Project Administration artist Charles Kassler painted the mural “Pastoral California” on the west side of the building. This mural, after being painted over since 1939, was restored in 1997.
Its Mighty Wurlitzer Organ was also restored and is being used for silent films. The Orange County Theatre Organ Society in recent years has presented, among others, the movies of Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd.
Over the years it has managed to squeeze a few other classic films into its 1,300-seat auditorium with a balcony. In August of 2006 it played host to the inaugural Fullerton Film Festival, which was created by the Fullerton Historic Theatre Foundation. Over four days they presented “Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner”, “Annie Hall”, “The Breakfast Club”, “The Player”, “Best of Show” and “Touch of Evil”.
The Plummer Auditorium was added to National Register of Historic Places in 1993.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater