Broadway Theatre

215 Hay Street,
Fayetteville, NC 28301

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Broadway Theatre

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The Strand Theatre operated at this site from 1916 when it was converted from a former dime store. It was renamed Broadway Theatre in 1924. It was closed on November 30, 1949.

It was demolished and a new Broadway Theatre was built to the design of architect Erle G. Stillwell. It was built for North Carolina Theatres Inc., and opened in 1950.

Seating in the rear of the balcony was reserved for African-American patrons, who had their own separate entrance and facilities.

Contributed by Ken Roe

Recent comments (view all 7 comments)

raysson
raysson on April 18, 2012 at 7:44 pm

The theatre was still around during the 1970’s when it was an ADULT theatre showing X-rated films. It closed in 1979.

raysson
raysson on May 14, 2012 at 9:39 pm

This was also a grindhouse cinema that specialized in a variety of “B” movies too. All that would change by the early-1970’s when this theater went from showing “B” movies to “XXX” rated adult films. It remained that way until it’s closing in 1979.

NightHawk1
NightHawk1 on June 2, 2012 at 5:17 pm

This and every other Hay Street theatre still operating in the 1970s formed what was possibly the closest thing to New York City’s infamous “Forty Deuce” (42nd Street between Broadway and 8th Avenue)within North Carolina.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on August 15, 2013 at 1:47 am

Three of architect Erle G. Stillwell’s plans and drawings of the Broadway Theatre are linked from this page at DocSouth’s “Going to the Show” section.

darrenparlett
darrenparlett on August 15, 2013 at 2:13 am

Grindhouse forever man

Mod32
Mod32 on October 15, 2013 at 9:54 pm

The Broadway did not show X movies, however there was a walk-in X rated theater in the 500 block of Hay street.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on March 18, 2014 at 12:59 am

The original Broadway Theatre on this same site opened in 1916 as the Strand Theatre, and was renamed the Broadway Theatre in 1924. An announcement that the Strand Theatre was soon to open appeared in the October 7, 1916, issue of The Moving Picture World. Owner H.T. Drake already operated a smaller movie house called the Lyric Theatre.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater