136 High Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire. The Pavilion Cinema was built by the Shipman & King circuit, and was formed out of a remain part of the Christie’s Brewery, which had been demolished. It opened on 3rd February 1930 with Charles King in “Broadway Melody”. Seating was provided on a single level. It had a rather narrow entrance, and the auditorium ran parallel to the street behind buildings. The rather plain auditorium had panels on the side-walls containing artistic figures. It had a small stage and four dressing rooms. There was a car par at the rear of the building. It was equipped with a Christie 3Manual/6Ranks organ from 4th September 1933, which was opened by organist Jack Courtnay.
The Pavilion Cinema was closed on 5th February 1972 with Charles Aznavour in “The Adventurers”. The Christie organ was then removed from the building.
It was taken over by the Star Cinemas chain and converted into a Star Bingo Club from March 1972. Later operated by Zetter’s, Gala Bingo and finally Cascade Bingo. It was closed in September 1997, and was demolished in around 2000. Flats have been built on the site, with the front section occupied by retail businesses.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater