Queen's Cinema

Broad Street,
Nelson, BB9

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 1 comment

HJHill
HJHill on October 19, 2014 at 3:22 pm

The Queens had a discrete, classical fa├žade with a semi-domed entrance canopy on four columns. It opened on Saturday 13 December 1913 with a 2000ft film called ‘Caste’.

The first ‘sound’ show was 14 July 1930: Mon to Wed ‘The Deserrt Song’; Thurs to Sat ‘The Singing Fool’.

The cinema closed for two weeks, from 9 June 1934 for redecorating, reseating and installing “the latest appliances”.

In July 1956, alterations to the projection room involved a one week closure. It reopened with a 1950 Audie Murphy film and a 1955 film with no-one of note; neither in CinemaScope.

The final show was Saturday 28 May 1960. Demolition came in 1969.