Majestic Theatre

Back Scotland Road & Russell Street,
Nelson, BB9

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Majestic Theatre

Viewing: Photo | Street View

Located on the corner of Back Scotland Road & Russell Street, Nelson, Lancashire. The Majestic Theatre was opened in 1910. It was rebuilt in 1926 to the plans of Nelson based architect Richard Jaques. The Majestic Theatre had a 26 feet wide proscenium and an 18 feet deep stage. Seating was provided in stalls, mezzanine and balcony levels, the balcony having side slips which extended toward the proscenium and contained rows of paired seats. The projection box was located at the rear of the stalls.

By 1934, it was a full time cinema. It was taken over by the Leeds based Star Cinemas chain in June 1960, and was closed on 8th July 1961. It was purchased by the Marsden Building Society, who demolished the building to build their headquarters on the site.

Contributed by Ken Roe

Recent comments (view all 2 comments)

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on August 10, 2012 at 6:23 am

Described in this 1925 trade article: archive

HJHill
HJHill on October 18, 2014 at 6:16 am

The Location information is incorrect. It was on Russell Street at the intersection with Back Scotland Road. Now the site of offices of the Marsden Building Society.

The demolition information is also incorrect, according to Mercia Cinema Society’s “Chronicles of Pendle’s Picture Palaces” which quotes an article in the local newspaper ‘The Nelson Leader’ of 30 June 1961.

Star Cinemas were to acquire local cinema chain Victory Theatres, but the Majestic was to be sold to the Marsden Building Society as the site for their new HQ (which it is; see Street View). The cinema closed on Saturday 8 July 1961 with Jerry Lewis in ‘Cinderfella’ and Bob Hope in ‘The Paleface’.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater