1307 Avenue J,
6 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Century Theaters
Functions: Medical Center
Styles: Art Deco
The Midwood Theatre replaced an earlier Midwood Theatre (1913-1920) and opened in 1921. It was designed by architect R. Thomas Short, with a total seating capacity of 1,208, it featured a balcony. It was equipped with a Kimble organ. It was enlarged to a total seating capacity of 1,953, again to the plans of architect R. Thomas Short. By 1929 it was part of the Century Theaters chain. In 1932 the interior was modified to the plans of architect A.J. Burns.
In 1948 alterations were carried out to the plans of architect John J. McNamara. It later became a second-run Century Theaters house. In its final years, it offered a discount policy where the price of admission was the same as the last two digits of the year. The Midwood Theatre was closed in 1984.
It closed in the very early-1980’s and is now an eye surgery facility.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.