Midway Drive-In

1610 Old Cherry Point Road,
New Bern, NC 28560

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Midway Drive-In

Viewing: Photo | Street View

Operating prior to 1955 as the Starlite Drive-In, the Midway Drive-In was located on Old Cherry Point Road south of New Bern, across the Trent River. It was owned for years by Gordon Parrott, owner of the local Foodland grocery stores. Parrott would later build the Southgate Cinema 1 & 2 (now Bear Town Cinema 6) near Trent Woods.

The Midway Drive-In, located next to the Neuse Forest Branch Post Office, closed about 1986 and sat abandoned for at least ten years. The drive-in has been demolished and part of the property has been redeveloped for residential use.

Contributed by NightHawk1

Recent comments (view all 5 comments)

Drive-In 54
Drive-In 54 on June 7, 2012 at 7:38 am

Goggel Earth View 1993

NightHawk1
NightHawk1 on June 7, 2012 at 7:55 am

hispeed54: Thanks for providing the aerial photo of the Midway. The large white building in the upper left corner of the photo is one of Gordon Parrott’s Foodland stores (acquired from Williams Red & White). Parrott owned the Midway Drive-In long before taking over Williams Red & White. His earlier Foodlands were on the north side of the Trent River in New Bern proper; another Foodland was next to his other theater, the Southgate (now Bear Town) Cinema.

NightHawk1
NightHawk1 on June 7, 2012 at 8:16 am

At the time of the photo (1993) the Midway Drive-In had been abandoned for several years; Gordon Parrott had died about the same time as the Midway’s closing. Parrott’s family sold the supermarkets (including the one seen above) to a Morehead City chain called Pak-a-Sak in 1987; they expanded the Southgate Cinema to six screens around 1988 and sold it off years later.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on June 8, 2012 at 11:41 am

Thanks NIGHTHAWK 1.New Bern had four Drive ins in 1956.

NightHawk1
NightHawk1 on June 11, 2012 at 3:16 pm

The Midway was the only drive-in left in New Bern by 1972. My dad moved to New Bern in 1971 and for all the time he lived down there, the Midway was the only drive-in located in New Bern. The other drive-in in Craven County during the 1970s was the Havelock Drive-In (listed on CT).

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater