5814 W. Madison Street,
4 people favorited this theater
The State Theatre was one of the largest and most impressive-looking of the numerous theatres in Chicago’s Austin neighborhood, on the city’s westernmost border. Its architect was Edward Steinberg, who is noted for his Genesee Theatre in Waukegan, as well as the Belpark Theatre on the Northwest side of Chicago, which is now a banquet hall.
Opened on October 31, 1925 with Bessie Love in “New Booms”. The State Theatre was operated by the Lubliner & Trinz circuit. One of the most notable features of its Baroque façade was a miniature version of the arched window of Rapp & Rapp’s Chicago Theatre, by which his design of the State Theatre Steinberg was clearly inspired by. The State Theatre was equipped with an organ which was opened by organist Don George.
Acquired by Balaban & Katz in the early-1930’s, the State Theatre continued to operate at least into the 1970’s before it was closed.
Though vacant for decades, it was still very much an Austin landmark. In fact, the theatre (and adjoining building) were listed by the city as an “historically significant” structure, but regardless of this, the State Theatre was unfortunately demolished in 1995.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater