La Salle Theatre
110 W. Madison Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Previous Names: La Salle Opera House
The La Salle Opera House opened in 1910, and could seat a just under 800.
It was located at the corner of W. Madison Street and N. Clark Street, adjoining the Brevoort Hotel and across the street from the tiny Madison Theatre and Astor Theatre (all of which have long since vanished from the Loop). In addition to opera, the La Salle Opera House also would later stage legitimate theatre, as well as vaudeville acts.
However, beginning in 1927, the La Salle Theatre began showing movies, becoming just another one of the many movie houses dotting the Loop. It was equipped with a Weickhardt organ. It remained a movie house until closing in the late-1940’s.
In Spring of 1950, the La Salle Theatre was razed to make way for a new St. Peter’s Church, which relocated to the Loop, which is also home to 30 Franciscan friars who live above the church. St. Peter’s in the Loop, besides hosting classical concerts, is also known for its gorgeous stained-glass windows and the huge crucifix on its façade, overlooking W. Madison Street.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.