Birks Cinema

9 Dunkeld Street,
Aberfeldy, PH15 2AA

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 3 comments

popcorn_pete
popcorn_pete on May 25, 2017 at 4:34 pm

The Birks opened on 3 July 1939 and was built for Strathmore Cinemas. According to Internet sources the first film was “Sixty Glorious Years”. It closed in 1982 citing economic reasons. No other sources state it was ever a snooker club although it did have a couple of pool tables presumably from the days of the amusement centre. A “Golden Ticket” event reopened the cinema on the date given with the first public screening a day later. Actor Alan Cumming, who was born in the town, became its patron and “officially” opened the cinema in December 2013. The frontage was originally in Snowcrete.

keiths
keiths on November 12, 2013 at 5:24 am

Fantastic… Presumably helped immensely by the advent of digital projection?

ODEONesque
ODEONesque on July 26, 2013 at 5:13 am

Back on its feet again, that makes a nice change to read on here.