Sgt. Smith Theatre
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Schofield Barracks. Constructed by the 3rd Engineer Regiment in 1933 in the Art Deco style, the theater was later renamed to honor Platoon Sgt. Elmelindo Smith, who was posthumously awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor on February 16, 1967 for his heroic actions in the Vietnam War with the 4th Infantry Division.
In 2012 the historic Sgt. Smith Theatre was closed for an estimated $600,000 facelift, which included a redecorated lobby, lavatories and dressing rooms, newer and more spacious seating on the orchestra floor (reducing the original seating of 1,500 to 1,328), LED floor lighting and new aisle carpeting in the auditorium, and the replacement of hardwood stage flooring, according to David Lee, Construction Management office, Directorate of Public Works, U.S. Army Garrison-Hawaii.
The Sgt. Smith Theatre is operated by the Exchange, which in 2012 contributed a digital sound system for a modern digital/3-D projection system that is planned for 2013. The concession area was also upgraded and reconfigured.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater