Henry's-St. Andrew's Drive-In
460 Arlington Drive,
1 person favorited this theater
St. Andrew’s Drive-In opened on June 1, 1949, featuring “Thunder in the Valley” with Lon McCallister and Peggy Ann Garner. It was part of the L. H. Ayers Theatres chain of drive-ins, along with the Summerville Drive-In, 4-Mile Drive-In, and the Holly Hill Drive-In in Holly Hill, SC. They were advertised as “Charleston’s Only Home-Owned Drive-Ins”.
The St. Andrew’s Drive-In closed on February 4, 1953, and reopened on February 9, 1953, as the Henry’s Drive-In. Proprietors of the newly reopened drive-in were Henry Smith and John H. Pembroke. On February 15, 1953, it started to be advertised as Henry’s-St. Andrew’s Drive-In. The drive-in closed for good in November 1954. In 1957, St. John’s Episcopal Church built a school on the old drive-in site. Eventually a church and rectory were built. St. John’s Church was combined with St. Peters Church due to declining membership. In 2004, the property was sold to Coastal Community Church.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater