Alexandra Theatre

George Street & Bourne Street,
Hull, HU1

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 2 comments

Petrosbizar on September 21, 2016 at 3:36 pm

The Alexandra was built for William Morton, a significant manager of theatres and cinemas in Hull. His eldest son, George Morton was appointed manager. Initially Morton’s theatres would be co-ordinated. The Royal, already dubbed, ‘The Home of Grand Opera and Latest Musical Productions’, would have the higher class of programme while the Alexandra would be devoted almost exclusively to drama. “After that”, reminisced George Morton in 1934, “came other touring companies, and grand opera for seasons of four and five weeks”. He recalled the 80-strong Moody-Manners Opera Company. “Every grand opera star of those days appeared with it, including the famous Blanche Marchesi and Zela de Tessa.” Another Kelley production was ‘Theodora’ with a jungle scene and real lions roaming about the stage. Theatre-going had declined during the early 1930’s and, after several attempts to revive attendances with London-based touring companies,it closed in January 1935. It was reopened in December 1935 as a variety theatre, the New Alexandra, and managed by Terence Byron Ltd.

CSWalczak on October 19, 2012 at 11:40 am

Additional historical detail and a picture of the the Alexandra’s site as it is today can be found on this webpage.