225 Fosse Road North,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located on the corner of Fosse Road North & Pool Road, to the west of Leicester city centre. The Fosse Cinema was built by Super Cinemas (Leicester) Ltd. which was headed by brothers George & Milford Cockcroft. The Cockcrofts had also built cinemas in the Leicester suburbs of Wigston Magna (Magna Cinema), Birstall (Lawn Cinema) and in 1937 at Oadby (Oadby Cinema). The Fosse Cinema was opened on 28th September 1936 with Mae Busch & Laurel & Hardy in “The Bohemian Girl” and Todd Slaughter in “Sweeney Todd, the Demon Barber of Fleet Street”. It was a luxurious cinema, designed in an Art Deco style. It was equipped with a British Accoustic(BA) sound system and had Kalee projectors.
The Fosse Cinema was taken over by the Scarborough Circuit in 1938. By 1954 it was operated by the Evington Cinema Circuit. It was equipped for CinemaScope in 1955.
It was taken over by the Barry Noble circuit in 1981, with plans to convert the circle into a single screen cinema, and the stalls into a bingo club. The cinema plan was never carried out, and the Fosse Cinema was closed in April 1981 and converted into a bingo club. The bingo club was closed in 1997, and the building lay empty and unused until it was demolished in July 1998. A Tesco Express supermarket now stands on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater