Cobble Hill Cinemas
265 Court Street,
5 people favorited this theater
Opened prior to 1926, the Lido Theater had 550 seats. It stands on Court Street and Butler Street in the Cobble Hill section of Brooklyn. Still operating as the Lido Theater in 1957. It became a double-feature neighborhood theater into the 1960’s when the neighborhood changed. It was also known as the Rex Cinema in the early-1970’s.
It opened and closed a few times, showing kung fu and action fare. When the neighborhood became hot again, the theater reopened as the Cobble Hill Cinema. It showed first-run fare. The theater was an instant success and soon the owner twined, triplexed and finally build two new theaters on the roof, making it a fiveplex. The interior was redone, and the theater continued to show a mix of first run, foreign and independent fare.
Clearview Cinemas took it over for a few years, but when Regal opened the Court Street 12, it tried to show foreign and independent films exclusively there and lost a lot of business. Soon Clearview wanted out and the theater was again taken over by its previous owner, who returned to showing first films in addition to the mix of independent and foreign films.
It is still operating, serving Cobble Hill’s movie needs. The one downside of the theater is that it has a tiny lobby, forcing patrons to stand on line outside, no matter what the weather is.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater