Epping Kings Theatre
46 Beecroft Road,
1 person favorited this theater
Although the Kings circuit was known for its trademark Art Deco style designs, the first two houses were adaptations of existing spaces, the Mosman Kings Theatre and now the Epping Kings Theatre.
Located in the northwest Sydney suburb of Epping, opposite Epping Railway Station. The Cambria Theatre was opened on 6th November 1915 with 930 seats. Architects Kaberry & Chard made alterations to the building in 1920/1921. Architectural firm Crick & Furse were employed in November 1934 to redesign the cinema in an Art Deco style. It was a minimalist design with no deco flourishes but the simplicity made it stand out. Later in 1935, Guy Crick produced his first theatre with the famous ‘Kings’ look - the Rose Bay North Kings Theatre.
The Epping Kings Theatre opened on 2nd March 1935 with Robert Montgomery in “Hide Out” and Janet Gaynor in “Servant’s Entrance”. In the late-1940’s it was taken over by the Northern Suburbs chain, having not being part of the Greater Union takeover of the Kings Theatres circuit in 1946.
The Epping Kings Theatre was closed on 18th June 1960 with Cary Grant in “Houseboat” and “The Hangman”. It was converted into a branch of Woolworth’s, and since then the building has housed several small stores and a video chain.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater