165 Windmill Hill Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The New Century Theatre was opened as a 1,500-seat variety theatre in 1902. It was designed by architect Alexander Cullen. It was renamed Motherwell Theatre from 1913 to 1915 when it operated as a cinema. It reverted back to its original name and variety theatre use until it was taken over by the Associated British Cinemas(ABC) chain in November 1929. It was closed around 1932.
The building was mostly demolished apart from the upper parts of the facade, and architect C.J. McNair designed a new 2,031-seat Rex Cinema as a replacement. The Rex Cinema was opened on 17th August 1936 with Fred Asataire & Ginger Rogers in “Follow the Fleet”.
It was re-named ABC in 1972. The ABC was closed on 12th June 1976 with “Emmanuel”. It was converted into an amusement arcade. It then became the Big Apple nightclub.
It was demolished in 1995, and a Lidl Supermarket now operates on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater