East Liberty Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Built about 1914 and managed by H. H. Ziegler, the Wallace Theatre was dynamited on two separate occasions by J. B. McCormick of the neighboring Alhambra Theatre, claiming at his arrest on February 16, 1916 that the Wallace Theatre had been cutting into the Alhambra Theatre’s patronage by attracting patrons away from the Alhambra Theatre. The bombs exploded at about 3:00am on December 16, 1915 and February 13, 1916. Investigators found eleven sticks of unexploded dynamite at the Wallace Theatre in packaging that was traced to McCormick, who then confessed. The Wallace Theatre’s organ was destroyed in one of the attacks.
The Wallace Theatre closed at the advent of sound films. The projection booth was on East Liberty Street and the screen was on the north edge of the building. Ed Mott bought the Wallace Theatre, closed it and moved its seats to the Wayne Theatre. The Wallace Theatre was demolished in 1933 for a new J. J. Newberry’s store.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater