No one has favorited this theater yet
Artarmon is a small suburb sandwiched between St. Leonards and Chatswood, about six miles from Sydney’s cbd on the lower North Shore. Described as a leafy residential area, Artarmon had a string of shops on Hampden Road which parallels the railway tracks.
The largest building was the Prince of Wales Theatre, built in 1923. That name was dropped in 1936 when the Prince, as King Edward VIII, abdicated the U.K. throne. The facade was given an Art Deco style makeover in 1937 and the final name was the Sun Theatre.
As an independent it lacked booking clout to get first run movies and settled for third run double bills. Seating was originally for 1,000 in the stalls and lounge, later reduced to 803 when the lounge was closed.
Competition was stiff from the three chain theatres in neighboring Chatswood and the Sun Theatre closed in 1951. It became department store Grace Bros. furniture repository until it was demolished in 1980 and a block of flats built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater