443 Stanley Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the north Liverpool district of Bootle, on the corner of Stanley Road and Malvern Road. Originally designed as a skating rink, which opened in 1909. It was converted into the Picture House which opened on 25th July 1912. Seating was provided on a stadium plan, with a raised stepped section at the rear. The building had a 26 table billiard hall attached.
It was taken over by the Bedford Cinemas chain in 1921, and after redecoration, was re-opened as the Broadway Cinema on 26th December 1921. It was later taken over by the General Theatres Corporation and they were taken over by the Gaumont British Theatres chain in May 1929. It was equipped with a RCA sound system and the first ‘talkie shown here was Alfred Hitchcock’s “Blackmail” on 30th September 1929.
On the evening of 8th May 1941, after the film “Third Finger, Left Hand” starring Myrna Loy had been screen, the Broadway Cinema auditorium was destroyed by a German bomb. The facade and foyer escaped damage.
The derelict remains stood for many years, until 1955, when the Gaumont (later Odeon) Bootle was built on the site, which opened on 23rd January 1956.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater