No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Yeovil, Somerset. Built on the site of the Central Hall Cinema which was destroyed by a fire on 24th May 1930. The Central Cinema was opened in January 1932. It was designed in an Art Deco/Persian style by architect Douglas E. Langford, of the architectural firm Lucas & Langford based in Exeter. The proscenium was 27 feet wide. It was equipped with a Western Electric(WE) sound system. It operated as an independent cinema throughout its life.
The Central Cinema was damaged by a fire on 25th May 1950, and it took a while to do repairs, and didn’t re-open until November 1931, when the Charlie Chaplin film “City Lights” was screened. The Central Cinema was closed on 8th August 1964 with Hayley Mills in “Summer Magic”.
It was converted into a bingo club, which operated until 1979. The building was gutted and began use as a car park. It was demolished in 1988, and offices known as Central House were built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater