Farmington Civic Theater
33332 Grand River Avenue,
2 people favorited this theater
A late C. Howard Crane design in Art Moderne style, opening in late-1940, the Civic Thetare sat about 550 on the main floor and about 200 in the balcony.
The theatre has an elegant blade marquee and elegant facade, in shades of red and off-white.
Though officially just the Civic Theatre, it was advertised as the Farmington Civic Theater, so as not to confuse it with the Civic-Detroit (or Detroit-Civic, as it was variously called) a few miles away.
The only time the Civic Theatre ever closed in its history was in the winter of 1989-90 when Louis Wiltse tastefully converted the balcony into a piggy-backed second auditorium. It was reopened as the Farmington Civic 2 in early-1990, showing second-run fare.
The Farmington Civic Theater is one of the few old-fashioned movie houses still in operation in all of southeastern Michigan, and has lost none of its charm and style over the decades.
According to “Andrea,” the theatre has been operated by the city of Farmington since 1999. For more information see the Related Website to the right.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater