Llandudno Pier Pavilion Theatre
Happy Valley Road,
1 person favorited this theater
Located in the north Wales seaside town of Llandudno. The Pier Pavilion Theatre was built at at the landside end adjacent to the pier in 1883, and was designed by architect B. Nelson, in a flamboyant Victorian style. It was opened in September 1886.
It was used for concerts, and by 1899 was presenting film shows. By 1909 it was known as the Pier Theatre of Varieties, and films were presented as part of the variety programme.
The Pier Pavilion Theatre was listed in Kinematograph Yearbooks from at least 1934 through to 1947, when films would have been screened on Sunday’s, due the live presentations being forbidden on those days. Top name stars appeared for summer seasons at the theatre.
The Llandudno Pier Pavilion Theatre was closed at the end of the 1984 summer season with the show “Startime Follies”. The building was converted into a walk-through waxworks exhibition, which closed in 1990. The empty building was partially destroyed in an arson attack on 13th February 1994.
The Llandudno Pier remains open today and is a Grade II Listed building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater