19340 Vernier at 8 Mile Rd.,
2 people favorited this theater
A Suburban Detroit theater, the 1200-seat Eastland opened in 1969 and was originally designed by Ted Rogvoy, the architect who earlier designed such Detroit-area treasures as the now-lost Mercury in Detroit, the State-Wayne in Wayne, and the Terrace in Livonia.
In 1975, it was twinned as the Eastland 1 & 2, with one of the auditoriums screening 70mm features.
In 1985, just as Suburban Detroit was selling the Eastland 1 & 2 to the AMC chain, it opened five more screens at the Eastland Mall, the Eastland 3-7. AMC remodeled both theater buildings in 1987, which included reducing seating to around 450 in each of the twin’s auditoriums. The Eastland 3-7 was renamed the AMC Eastland Mall 5.
Though both the 1 & 2 and Eastland Mall theaters were part of the AMC chain, the two were effectively two separate theaters, causing a bit of confusion as to which movie was playing at which location.
In 2000, both Eastland theaters were among the many smaller, out-dated Detroit-area houses which AMC shuttered during that year.
The Eastland 2 was later demolished for a Lowes.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater