His Majesty's Theatre
York Road & Sidmouth Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the Muizenberg district to the south of Cape Town. His Majesty’s Theatre was built for cinema & theatre use by Mr. T. Marks and was managed by Mr. H. Hanson. It had about 1,000 seats located in stalls and balcony levels. It opened on 26th March 1920 with the feature film “The Price She Paid” and with live supporting acts on the stage. The orchestra was conducted by Mr. F. Reigelhuth.
In 1930 it was equipped for sound movies and the ownership had changed to African Theatres Co.
In 1940 during World War II, a large group of newly arrived British children, evacuated to South Africa, were treated to a show at the cinema. His Majesty’s Theatre was closed in 1940/1941 to make way for the adjacent new Empire Cinema which was nearing completion.
The original building now houses shops and restaurants.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater